AAS Insurance Studies
Academic Plan Code
MCCCD Program Detail
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses within the program.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Insurance Studies program is designed for students who are interested in gaining foundational skills in the insurance industry. Courses provide a framework of knowledge including an introduction to the insurance industry, principles of property and liability insurance, personal, and commercial insurance. The program also includes a Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Insurance Studies.
What You’ll Learn
This program will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Explain effective workplace behaviors and professionalism in the workplace.
- Explain the insurance professional`s ethical responsibility to insurers, policyholders and the public.
- Examine the history and development of the insurance industry.
- Describe methods for regulating the insurance industry.
- Describe the underwriting and claims functions in terms of their impact on profitability.
- Analyze the risk management process.
- Differentiate between various types of insurance.
- Analyze liability, personal and commercial loss exposure.
- Describe the coverages provided by the most common insurance programs.
- Explain general policy provisions for various types of insurance.
- Compare and contrast personal insurance coverages.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|Students must choose twenty-one (21) industry/job related credits from the list of Restricted Electives below. Any 100/200 level prefixed courses may be selected except courses used to satisfy the Required Courses area.|
|ACC+++++||Any ACC Accounting course(s)||0-21|
|CIS113DE||Microsoft Word: Word Processing||0-3|
|CIS117DM||Microsoft Access: Database Management||0-3|
|CIS121AE||Windows Operating System: Level I||0-1|
|EPS+++++||Any EPS Entrepreneurial Studies course(s)||0-21|
|FIN+++++||Any FIN Financial Planning course(s)||0-21|
|GBS233||Business Communication (3) AND/OR|
|GBS+++++||Any additional GBS General Business course(s)||0-21|
|IBS+++++||Any IBS International Business course(s)||0-21|
|INS220||Claim Handling Principles and Practices (3) AND/OR|
|INS225||Auto Claim Practices (3) AND/OR|
|INS+++++||Any additional INS Insurance Studies course(s)||0-21|
|MGT+++++||Any MGT Management course(s)||0-21|
|MKT+++++||Any MKT Marketing course(s)||0-21|
|REA+++++||Any REA Real Estate course(s)||0-21|
|SBS+++++||Any SBS Small Business Management course(s)||0-21|
|TQM+++++||Any TQM Total Quality Management course(s)||0-21|
Meet with an Advisor
Click here for MCC’s easy-to-use Enrollment Steps.
Before signing up for classes, you’ll want to meet with an academic advisor. Together, you’ll lay out a program and career path that suits you best. This step is essential to your academic success.
This Associate in Applied Science is associated with
All information is administered by the Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation at Maricopa County Community College District and published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.
View MCCCD's program website for the Associate in Applied Science in Insurance Studies (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm3?id=126445).