CCL ESL Endorsement
Academic Plan Code
MCCCD Program Detail
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in ESL Endorsement prepares certified teachers to earn the English as a Second Language Endorsement in Arizona. The program emphasizes the philosophical, cultural, and linguistic processes involved in teaching English language learners. Students develop knowledge and skills required of teachers working with English language learners through a combination of courses in methodology and practicum experience in an ESL classroom. This program includes all coursework required for those with valid Arizona teaching certificates to qualify for SEI and ESL endorsement in Arizona.
What You’ll Learn
This program will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Set up classrooms which incorporate the natural approach to language acquisition.
- Apply grammatical and linguistic concepts in a classroom setting where sheltered English instruction is utilized.
- Accommodate field-sensitive and field independent styles of teaching and learning.
- Utilize structured presentations and discussions of educational procedures, ethics and classroom discipline.
- Work in small group language minority instructional settings.
- Implement time management, lesson planning and giving instruction to children in a sheltered English mode.
- Develop lesson plans which enhance the childs learning abilities through use of individualized linguistic differences.
- Write lesson plans with unified objectives and assessment instruments.
- Develop sheltered English instructional materials to be used in an ESL classroom setting.
- Give presentations to English language learners in the classroom using contemporary methods of English as a second language instruction.
- Promote language acquisition through methods which are informed by an understanding of socio-psycho linguistic effects on learning.
- Explain the basic philosophical premises of language minority instruction.
- Produce a diversity of creative activities for young children.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
Meet with an Advisor
Click here for MCC’s easy-to-use Enrollment Steps.
Before signing up for classes, you’ll want to meet with an academic advisor. Together, you’ll lay out a program and career path that suits you best. This step is essential to your academic success.
This Certificate of Completion is associated with
All information is administered by the Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation at Maricopa County Community College District and published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.
View MCCCD's program website for the Certificate of Completion in ESL Endorsement (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=92543).