AAS Caterpillar Technician Training
Academic Plan Code
MCCCD Program Detail
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Caterpillar Technician Training prepares students to use advanced technology to service and repair Caterpillar machines and equipment. Students become skilled in electronically controlled engines, sophisticated computer-based diagnosis, and state-of-the-art hydraulics and transmissions, as well as other high demand skills. The program combines general education curriculum, specialized technological coursework, and practical experience to prepare students to work in authorized Caterpillar service facilities.
What You’ll Learn
This program will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Describe the Caterpillar organization and its product line.
- Explain basic principles of diesel engines, and identify and describe diesel engine systems, products, and their uses.
- Explain basic principles of hydraulics, and demonstrate safety practices used when working with hydraulic systems.
- Explain basic principles of fluids, and describe the process of selecting fuel.
- Explain basic principles of electricity, including magnetism.
- Explain the fundamental principles of heat transfer and air conditioning, and identify air conditioning system components and their functions.
- Explain basic principles and components of the power train, including drive systems.
- Explain the basic principles of hydraulic systems, electro-hydraulic systems, and hydrostatic systems, and describe the components and operation of 928G and 950G wheel loader implement hydraulic systems.
- Apply technical knowledge and skills and develop professional skills in an industry setting.
- Identify and describe types of drive systems used in hydraulically driven machines.
- Explain and demonstrate the uses of machine electronic systems and diagnostic tooling used to diagnose and repair the complex electrical/electronic systems installed in Caterpillar machines.
- Identify and explain the uses of various diagnostic tools in maintaining and repairing engines in Caterpillar equipment.
- Explain the use of applied failure analysis and troubleshooting logic in diagnosing problems in Caterpillar machines.
- Identify machine controls, locate and identify engine components, hydrostatic components, power train, and hydraulic components of Caterpillar compact construction equipment.
- Select and safely perform the appropriate welding operation including oxy-acetylene welding, brazing, cutting, and electric arc-welding.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|CTT110||Introduction to Caterpillar Service Industry||3|
|CTT111||Caterpillar Engine Fundamentals||4|
|CTT114||Basic Electrical Fundamentals||3|
|CTT115||Air Conditioning Fundamentals||3|
|CTT116||Power Trains I||3|
|CTT117||Machine Hydraulic Systems||3|
|CTT118||Caterpillar Dealer Internship I||3|
|CTT119||Caterpillar Dealer Internship II||3|
|CTT200||Power Train II||3|
|CTT202||Engine Diagnostics and Repair||3|
|CTT204||Machine Specific Systems||3|
|CTT205||Caterpillar Dealer Internship III||3|
|CTT206||Caterpillar Dealer Internship IV||3|
General Education Requirements
|General Education Requirement||Credits: 18-21|
|General Education Core||Credits: 12-15|
|First-Year Composition||Credits: 6|
|ENG101||First-Year Composition (3) AND|
|ENG111||Technical and Professional Writing (3)|
|Oral Communication||Credits: 3|
|Any approved general education course in the Oral Communication area|
|Recommended COM110 Interpersonal Communication||3|
|Critical Reading||Credits: 0-3|
|CRE101||College Critical Reading and Critical Thinking (3) OR|
|Equivalent as indicated by assessment||0-3|
|GTC108||Technical Mathematics II||3|
|General Education Distribution||Credits: 6|
|Humanities and Fine Arts||Credits: 3|
|Any approved general education course in the Humanities, Arts and Design area|
|Recommended ENH255 Contemporary U.S. Literature and Film||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences||Credits: 3|
|Any approved general education course in the Social-Behavioral Sciences area|
|Recommended CFS157 Marriage and Family Life||3|
|Natural Sciences||Credits: 0|
This Associate in Applied Science is associated with
All information is administered by the Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation at Maricopa County Community College District and published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.
View MCCCD's program website for the Associate in Applied Science in Caterpillar Technician Training (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm3?id=119565).