CCL Alteration Specialist
Academic Plan Code
MCCCD Program Detail
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Alteration Specialist is designed to prepare students for employment in alterations for the apparel industry. Students will develop skills in advanced clothing construction, tailoring and couture techniques appropriate for a variety of fabrics and designs, and fitting techniques for all types of apparel. They will develop the ability to select appropriate fashion fabrics, interfacing, and lining materials for specific items of apparel. Students completing this certificate will be able to alter and repair ready-made garments for a profession. Students completing the certificate can expect entry level positions in the alteration profession for retailers, dry-cleaning industry or their own alteration establishment.
What You’ll Learn
This program will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Identify and describe job opportunities available in the needle trades.
- Choose and explain the basic alteration process that should be applied to a particular alteration problem.
- Alter patterns to fit individual figures and make necessary adjustments during the construction process.
- Select fashion fabric, lining, interfacing, patterns, and notions appropriate for constructing, altering or repairing specific garments.
- Apply advanced construction techniques (seams and seam finishes, darts, facings, collars, set-in sleeves, machine and bound buttonholes, hems, zippers, linings, matching plaids and stripes) correctly on samples and garments.
- Operate serger, flatlock fabrics together, serge a variety of seams, finish seams, gather and apply a rolled hem to knit and woven fabrics.
- Describe properties, use, and care of major textile fibers.
- Construct and alter a tailored garment using techniques, equipment, and supplies required for the tailoring process.
- Use couture sewing techniques to construct or alter apparel.
- Perform assigned career duties in a work setting.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|TEC111||Clothing Construction (3) OR|
|Permission of Program Director.||0-3|
Meet with an Advisor
Click here for MCC’s easy-to-use Enrollment Steps.
Before signing up for classes, you’ll want to meet with an academic advisor. Together, you’ll lay out a program and career path that suits you best. This step is essential to your academic success.
This Certificate of Completion is associated with
All information is administered by the Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation at Maricopa County Community College District and published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.
View MCCCD's program website for the Certificate of Completion in Alteration Specialist (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125893).