Effective 08/05/15, the process for approving Official Function Forms (OFF) has been updated. The routing of the form is shown in the below PDF, Official Function Form_Flowchart. The major change in the process is the approval piece. OFF’s are not approved for purchase until MCC Fiscal Services emails the PDF copy of the OFF that is date stamped, initialed, and assigned an OFF # by Fiscal. Departments cannot submit a requisition, make a p-card purchase, or submit a petty cash until the approved OFF has been sent to them.
- Official Function Form (OFF): Flowchart (Forms section)
MCCCD is required to spend its resources only for things that tangibly and directly benefit its educational mission and objectives. Some expenses by their nature aren't appropriate. Others require an explanation to meet that requirement.
Examples of expenses that may be official functions are employee retreats and conference banquet or hotel contracts.
The term "official function" means an activity or item that:
- Does not appear to be, without explanation, an ordinary and necessary function of MCCCD as a public educational institution.
- Provides a tangible benefit and links directly to MCCCD's educational mission.
- Is reasonable and commensurate in value to the tangible benefit that MCCCD will receive.
Examples of expenses that don't meet any of the criterion for the definition of "official function" are:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Charitable contributions or donations (except for student groups, see Administrative Regulation)
- Dues for memberships in non-school related civic or community organizations (such as Rotary, Kiwanis) or in discount stores
- Gifts and decorations of any type for personal life events (such as births, deaths, weddings, funerals) including flowers
- Gifts for personal use (such as apparel, jewelry, flowers or luggage) in appreciation of an MCCCD employee or officer
Official Function Need To Knows:
- Forms for a meeting or interview must have agenda and/or interview schedule attached
Membership Payment Worksheet: