ALT100 (Academic Literacy Through Integrated Reading and Writing)
Important: Students place into ALT100 based on both a Reading and English placement score. This course prepares students for college-level reading and writing-intensive courses as well as career-related reading and writing tasks.
Placement Information: Students who have placed into ALT100 may skip this class by working through the FREE EdReady program. This program provides you with a Placement Assessment and a self-paced learning plan to help you refresh and improve your skills and increase your placement score. Using EdReady can even help you skip certain reading courses. Learn more about this program by following this guide: Click Here
What you will learn in ALT100:
- Apply reading and writing processes and rhetorical strategies to facilitate understanding of texts from multiple perspectives.
- Distinguish various text features across disciplines.
- Identify the stated and implied main idea(s), central points, and supporting details found in complex academic texts.
- Develop strategies to build content area vocabulary for academic purposes.
- Generate appropriate texts for a variety of academic purposes.
- Apply the recursive writing process to respond to different rhetorical tasks.
- Compose text using multimodalities.
- Gather, evaluate, and utilize internet and database resources for academic purposes.
- Utilize campus-based resources to support learning.
- Evaluate personal use of academic literacy and student success strategies through reflective analyses.