Meet with Academic Advisor:
Advising Office, Main Campus, Southern and Dobson
While the Music Business program at MCC is geared towards the development of Career and Technical expertise, students do have the option of transferring to a 4-year College or University to complete a Bachelor's degree.
The most common Bachelor Degree options for Career students include:
- Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.)- With the B.A.S. degree, Community College credits are, generally, accepted in complete block from the A.A.S. degree and students, typically, start at the Junior level when transferring to the University.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.)- These two Bachelor's degrees are considered to be more academic in nature, so Community College credits are, usually, assessed on a class-by-class basis. Students with an A.A.S. degree may start as Freshman or Sophomores when transferring into an academic program at a college or university.
A Sample of In-state Transfer Options
- NAU and MCC partnership offers 2+2 transfer degrees in Business Administration (B.B.A.) or Administration (B.A.S.) for MCC Music Business Majors. With this option, NAU accepts up to 80 credits from MCC. NAU also offers a 90/30 option, as well. Learn more here.
- ASU offers several Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) programs, such as the B.A.S. in Applied Science from the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences. They also offer a BA in Digital Culture with a concentration in Music: https://transfer.asu.edu/hidgcmba?comm-college=maricopa-county-community-college-district
- ASU also offers a BA with a concentration in Interdisciplinary Arts & Performance: https://transfer.asu.edu/asiapba?comm-college=maricopa-county-community-college-district
In-State University Transfer Resources
Arizona State University: https://www.mesacc.edu/transfer/transfer-out/arizona-state-university
Northern Arizona University: https://www.mesacc.edu/transfer/transfer-out/northern-arizona-university
Arizona State Transfer Course Equivalency Guide (CEG)
The state Course Equivalency Guide designates how a course transfers to Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, and the University of Arizona from the Arizona public community colleges. Students who plan to transfer to a 4-year Bachelor's program should plan to work with an advisor, as early as possible, to be sure their selected courses will transfer. http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CEG
Out-of-State Transfer Opportunities
MCC Music Business students can and have transferred to a variety of out-of-state, 4-year Music Business & Music Technology programs including: Belmont, CSUN, NYU, Drexel, University of Colorado, McNalley Smith College of Music, Berklee College of Music, Middle Tennessee State University, Loyola and others. For a list of 4-year college Music Business programs, go to: http://www.meiea.org/member_schools
MCC Music Business Program Check Sheets
The MCC Music Business Program offers an innovative career and technical curriculum designed to prepare students for today’s music industry. Students can choose from several options for college completion including an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Music Business, a Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Music Business and a CCL in Disc Jockey Techniques.
The Music Business CCL and AAS degree are designed for both the performing musician and the business student with limited performing experience. This program places a particular emphasis on business and marketing, along with music industry-related courses and hands-on experiences. The CCL in Disc Jockey Techniques is geared towards performance and technical skills acquisition in addition to self-promotion and marketing for DJs. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses within these programs to attain graduation. See the program check sheets: