"Find something you are passionate about, and keep tremendously interested in it." ~Julia Child
For students who work in the food, nutrition, and agriculture sectors already, those with a personal interest in sustainable food practices, as well as those with no culinary, nutrition, or agriculture background, the Sustainable Food Systems degree/certificate provides new and exciting opportunities in the emerging fields of organic agriculture and sustainable local food systems. Some of these jobs exist, some are just emerging, and some must be created and incorporated into sustainable food systems.
Example Sector Types
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Culinary (Restaurants, Catering, Management, etc.)
- Design and Photography
- Health and Wellness
- Journalism and Communications
- Law and Policy
- Non-Profits and NGOs
- Science and Technology
- Travel and Tourism
Example Job Types
- Food Anthropologist
- Food Historian
- Food Journalist
- Food Writer
- Food Safety Manager
- Pastry Chef
- Product Development Specialist
- School Garden Coordinator
- ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture
- EcoCentric Blog
- Farm-Based Education Network
- Good Food Jobs
- Sustainable Food Jobs
Do you have what it takes?
The following knowledge, attitude, and skills were garnered from a web search of sustainable food systems job listings.
- Interest in urban gardening, local food, social justice, urban schools, and the environment.
- Strong interpersonal communication, collaboration, and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to work independently, flexible, detail-oriented, strives for excellence, creative thinker.
- Must be knowledgeable and passionate about the environment, health, sustainability, food system and organics.
- Smart, innovative, super-energetic and tech-savvy mover and shaker.
- Proven skills and knowledge of nutritional cooking techniques.
- Organic agricultural experience, either based on a degree in Sustainable Agriculture or related field or from life experience.