Now Accepting Spring 2016 Entries
Mesa Community College (MCC) announces its Creative Writing Competition for 2016. The three categories are poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction.
Entries must be received by Josh Rathkamp, the Creative Writing Coordinator, no later than than 12:00 Noon on Wednesday, March 23, 2016.
- A contestant must be a currently enrolled “for credit” student at Mesa Community College during the semester of the competition (Spring 2016). All faculty are excluded. Entries must be works written during the students’ enrollment in credit courses at MCC.
- Students who have previously won First Place in a category are not eligible to participate again in that category.
- Entries must be unpublished works that have not won previous awards.
- Three (3) duplicate hard copies of each entry must be formatted as follows:
- MS Word, 12 point type, and double spaced.
- Poetry entries may be single spaced.
- The submission must be printed on 8 ½ x 11” white paper.
- Submit the entry in a 9 x 12” envelope.
- Your name must be printed on the outside of the envelope, along with the words “MCC Creative Writing Competition” AND the category of the entry.
- Each envelope may contain only one entry.
- Entries not submitted as requested will not be accepted.
Only one entry per category may be submitted by one individual. Contestants must include the completed MCC Spring 2016 Official Creative Writing Competition Entry Form with each entry.
The contestant’s name must not appear anywhere on the submission. The upper right corner of each page of the entry must include Title of Entry & Page Number.
- Poetry—100 lines
- Fiction—3500 words
- Nonfiction essay—2500 words
All judges will be MCC faculty. All decisions of the judges are final.
Three (3) Scholarship Awards will be distributed in the following manner for EACH CATEGORY at an Awards Reading/Celebration on Monday, April 18 at noon.
The winners are expected to attend. All cash prizes will first be attributed to any debt owed the college. If no student debt is owed, the award will be distributed in cash.
First Place—$500 Second Place—$300 Third Place—$200
Entries not meeting guidelines and entry requirements may be rejected