WE WILL BE HIRING FOR SPRING 2021! All positions are open until filled. We will be doing our first review of applications on December 4th.
America Reads Program
A Collaborative Effort Between Service-Learning and Education Studies
The America Reads Program encourages tutors to help elementary-age children read well and independently. The purpose of the America Reads Program is to:
- Train tutors on reading techniques and strategies to use with children in the classroom
- Help children increase their literacy skills and achievement levels
- Provide children who need additional help in reading with extended learning time
Select America Reads Tutors are part of the Federal Work Study Program at Mesa Community College. They tutor and mentor youth, while focusing on reading skill development, at one or more of the following schools:
- Mesa Arts Academy
- Concordia Charter Schools
- Mesa Public Schools such as:
- Adams Elementary
The America Reads Tutors stay with the same students throughout their term of service.
In addition, America Reads tutors plan two events:
- Scholastic Book Fair – held in the Fall semester during October break for Mesa Public Schools, the proceeds from this event help us raise Scholastic Dollars in order to purchase a book for each child at Dr. Seuss’ Birthday.
- Dr. Seuss’ Birthday – held in the Spring semester near “Read Across America Day”, this event celebrates reading through breakout activities and a birthday party for Dr. Seuss across Mesa Community College.
Becoming an America Reads Tutor
Pass RDG 091 or test out of it on the reading placement exam
America Reads tutors are part of the Federal Work Study Program - they must do the FAFSA and qualify for work study
Must be able to attend weekly MANDATORY staff meeting on Fridays from 3-4pm (may be virtual or in-person, depending on campus restrictions).
Submit a completed application to the Center for Community & Civic Engagement office
Attend the America Reads Orientation
Get matched to a classroom at our schools
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.