Can I serve at any site?
No, under Compact Service Corps, AmeriCorps member must serve at designated sites that allow them to directly work with either patients (Healthy Futures) or students (Education).
What are Qualified Loans?
Qualified student loans are student loans that are held in your name and backed by the federal government.  These loans also include those made to students by a state agency, such as the Alaska Commission on Higher Education, and loans issued through a state institution of high education to cover all or part of a student's cost of attendance.  If you do not know whether or not your loans are qualified, you should ask your lenders.  For federally-backed loans, there should be a citation on the loan papers referring to Title IV of the Higher Education Act.  For loans made by a state agency, the state agency should be listed as the "maker" of the loan on the promissory note.  When a loan is refinanced or consolidated, the new loan must meet the definition of qualified student loan in order for a payment to be made using an education award.  The original loan no longer exists.
Can the education award be applied to the same university term in which I am completing my service hours?
The AmeriCorps Education Award can be used to pay current educational expenses.  Current educational expenses are expenses that were incurred by you after you first enrolled in an AmeriCorps term of service.  The award cannot be used to pay for expenses that pre-date your involvement with AmeriCorps.  Refer to the section on "Eli Segal AmeriCorps Education Award" of your Member Handbook for examples of how the award may be used.  You may also contact the National Service Trust with specific questions.  Please call 1-800-942-2677 or email
Can I receive my education award in advance?
No.  However, if you have tuition due you can apply for a student loan.  Keep in mind that when you do receive your award, it can go directly to pay off that loan.  You may also contact the National Service Trust (the entity that sets up your account) with specific questions.  Please call 1-800-942-2677 or email
Can I transfer my Education Award?
Individuals age 55 or older on the official Member start date who enrolled in an approved AmeriCorps State and National position on or after October 1, 2009 may transfer their Education Award to their child, grandchild or foster child.  The individual designated to receive the transferred award must be a citizen, national or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States, and must use the award within ten (10) years from the Member's exit date.  This rule applies only to those individuals who were 55 years of age or older at the start of their term of service AND who enrolled on or after October 1, 2009.
When are the forms due?
There is no official due date for enrollment, but be aware that enrollment spots are limited and space is granted upon a first come, first served basis.  Please consult your Compact Service Corps Coordinator as to when monthly time logs are due.  Members must complete the exiting process, including all paperwork, to exit the Compact Service Corps Program within 30 days of their last date of service (regardless of your contract end date).
Can I change my term of service once I am enrolled in the program?
Yes, you have 30 days from the start date on your Member Contract to change your term of service. However, please consider carefully how many hours of service you will be able to complete during your year of service before you sign the Member Contract. Once you have committed to a certain number of hours, you will be obligated to honor that commitment or forfeit your AmeriCorps education award.
When will I get my education award?
Complete your contract hours and your AmeriCorps Exit Form (see Exit Packet) and return it to your Compact Service Corps AmeriCorps Coordinator on campus. You will need to give your Site Supervisor the instruction letter in your Exit Packet so that he/she can complete and submit the Post-Service Evaluation, located online at As well, you will need to complete the online Member Survey (instructions on taking the survey can be found in your Exit Packet). You should be able to access your education award online approximately 2 weeks after your Exit Form, your supervisor’s survey, and your Member Survey have been received by the AmeriCorps office. Toward what can my education award be applied?

Your education award may be applied directly to your current enrollment expenses for the cost of attendance. You can also use your award to pay qualified student loans if you have them, or you can hold on to your award for up to seven years to use it for future educational expenses. Refer to the section on “Eli Segal AmeriCorps Education Award” of your Member Handbook for examples of how your award may be used. You may also contact the National Service Trust (the entity that sets up your account) with specific questions. Please call 1-800-942-2677 or email