Instructor: Mrs. Kalison
Office: N-173 (
Telephone: (480) 461-7112
Textbook: Marine Biology
Castro & Huber
Laboratory Manual: Marine Biology
Methods of evaluation:
Lecture comprises 75% of your grade in the course.
There will be a 10 point quiz given on each week. The quiz will be of a short answer essay type and will cover material presented during the previous week. There will be no make up quizzes.
The two lowest quizzes will be dropped at the end of the semester and will not be used to compute your final grade.
There will be 4 exams worth 100 points each. They may consist of both multiple choice and essay
Instead of a final examination, write a paper on an environmental problem of the ocean for 100 points
Laboratory meets once every week and comprises 25% of the grade in the course.
Laboratory grades will be based on completion of the assigned labs. You cannot get credit for a lab that you did not attend.
There will be 1 lab practical and possible lab quizzes over the material learned in lab.
Course Procedures and Helpful Hints:
1. Good attendance is essential. If you must miss a class, arrange to have notes taken for you be a fellow student and call me to let me know what the problem is. You are responsible for catching up on what you have missed.
2. Good note-taking skills are also essential. Leave space in your notes to fill in material from the textbook.
3. You are responsible for the material in the assigned textbook chapters.
4. Your quiz grades will let you know if you are having trouble in this class. If you are, please ask me for help as soon as possible.
5. If you wish to withdraw form the course, after the deadline of student initiated withdrawal
you must contact me and ask to be withdrawn. Fill out a withdrawal form, give it to me and keep a copy for yourself.
6. Cheating will not be tolerated. If two exams have the same answers and cheating is suspected, both exams will receive a zero. Keep your papers covered during examinations to prevent this from occurring.
7. Come to class on time. Be courteous to students around you. Above all, learn about the ocean
and enjoy our time together.!!! I love this stuff and will help you all I can.
This class is designed for non-biology majors. There are no prerequisites. It satisfies the SG requirement at ASU for a lab science.