What is Philosophy as an Academic Discipline?
- Defining Philosophy:
- philia (love) + sophia (wisdom) = philosophy (the love of wisdom)
Philosophy is an umbrella term for five distinct areas of investigation
- The Five Primary Subdisciplines of Philosophy:
- Epistemology - the philosophical study of Knowledge
- What is Knowledge?
- Can we have Knowledge?
- How do we get Knowledge?
- Metaphysics - the philosophical study of Reality
- Ontology - What is existence?
- Philosophy of Mind - What is the nature of consciousness?
- Philosophy of Religion - What is God and how does God relate to the universe?
- Axiology - the philosophical study of Value
- Ethics - What is Good?
- Aesthetics - What is the Beauty?
- Political Philosophy - What is Justice?
- Logic - the philosophical study of Argument/Reason
- What is an argument?
- Why do arguments work?
- What causes an argument to fail?
- History of Philosophy - the philosophical study of people and their ideas
- People - who are these philosophers anyway?
- Ideas - what did past philosophers think about, and why?
return to Notes Index
return to Barry's HP