Photo Contest Winner
By Alisa Misevich - Costa Rica Study Abroad 2012 - click to see larger image.
Contact the Program Director
Dr. Dennis Wilson
Life Science Department
Office: RDM S - 264
A valid passport book or card is required to enter or re-enter the United States - Passport Info Here
, situated at the confluence of two major rivers in the Caribbean lowlands of northern Costa Rica, comprises 3,900 acres of tropical wet forests and disturbed lands. It averages over 13 feet of rainfall that is spread rather evenly throughout the year. The Station is bordered on the south by Braulio Carrillo National Park
extending down to La Selva through a descending forest corridor from 2,906 meters at Volcán Barva to 35 meters above sea level at La Selva.
Program Cancelled for 2014
Explore the spectacular wildlife in Costa Rica’s jungles, experience the thrill of zip-lining though the cloud forest canopy*, witness the lava bombs of an active volcano, and watch giant sea turtles lay eggs on their ancestral beaches. Travel through this amazing country and experience the diversity and wealth of Costa Rica’s cultural and biological resources everyday as you wake up to the chorus of parrots, toucans, howler monkeys and poison arrow frogs at your jungle field station headquarters. Our focus is on biology, photography, and creating an experience you’ll never forget! Includes excursions to Arenal Volcano, Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve, and Totuguero Turtle Preserve.
Together, we will look beyond our immediate arena and the often cloistered boundaries of the USA to understand how our nation's actions impact other nations and the globe.
Estimated Program Costs
- Program Fees: $1,539 (due 3/21/14)
- Program fee includes field station academic/lodging facilities, cultural excursions, ground transportation, travel insurance and most meals.
- Tuition: 7 credits; estimated at $567
- In-state: $81 per credit hour
- Out-of-state: $201 per credit hour
- Registration begins 3rd Monday in March. Tuition due date will be listed in SIS.
- Registration Fee: $15
- Estimated Course Fees: ART142 ($35) and BIO105 ($10)
- Airfare is NOT included - estimated at $780
- Costa Rica airport exit fee: $29
- Some meals are NOT included - estimated at $135
- Textbooks: Estimated at $45
- Passport Information
Costa Rica Program Excursions
Costa Rica Program Details
- The reserve consists of both La Selva's protected environs and the Park which has four major tropical life zones and includes more than 5,000 species of vascular plants, of which more than 700 species are trees.
- The fauna is similarly diverse with large predators including jaguars, pumas, and bushmasters. Thousands of arthropod species are being currently recorded at La Selva, and more than 400 species of resident and migratory birds have been sighted in the reserve, representing almost half of Costa Rica's bird species. See a map.
- Read detailed cultural information on Costa Rica provided by CultureGrams™.
Courses Offered (7 credits)
- ART142: Digital Photography (3 cr); requires $35 lab fee
- BIO105: Environmental Biology Lec/Lab (4 cr) [SQ]; requires $10 lab fee
- Classes meet several times prior to departure at MCC Red Mountain between May 31 and June 18, 2014.
Dates to Remember
Weds.6- 6:45 pm:
Sept. 11 & 25, 2013
Oct. 9 & 23, 2013
Nov. 6, 2013
Jan. 29 & Feb. 12, 2014
Thursdays - 1:30-2:15 pm
Sept. 12 & 26, 2013
Oct. 10 & 24, 2013
Nov. 7, 2013
January 30 & Feb. 13, 2014
Southern & Dobson Campus
Int'l Student Lounge
Financial aid specialist available at all Thursday sessions.
Download Info Session flyer.
Sunday, March 2, 2014
Get information on scholarships, grants, and financial aid for study abroad here.
Program Application Deadline
Friday, February 28, 2014
Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply early to reserve your place! Complete the application
. This pdf file can be completed on your computer and then saved and printed.
Submit directly to the Study Abroad Coordinator in Building NU6
at the Southern & Dobson Campus.
March 21, 2014
For scholarship & financial aid opportunities as well as payment guidelines, download the helpful guide: How to Pay for Study Abroad
April 12, 2014 from 9 am - 2 pm
in the Elsner Library
at the Southern & Dobson campus.
You must attend the mandatory
study abroad orientation
. There may be additional required meetings for your specific program. Contact the Program Director