Apply from Abroad

We are delighted that you are interested in studying in our school and we hope that you will be able to do so! The following information is provided to help you apply for a student visa and prepare for your entry into the U.S. as an F-1 visa student. While this will give you a general idea of the process, each U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy has its own system for visa applications. Therefore, you should also check with your local consulate to find out how to arrange for the visa interview and what documents are required. Visit the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs for more information.

The Admissions Process

Step 1:

Download the admissions packet.   (5 pages total)

Step 2: Submit One Form of Proof of English Proficiency.  Choose either:

 Academic Program

Choose one from the following:

  • TOEFL - A minimum of iBT-61, CBT-173, or PBT-500
  • IELTS - A minimum of 5.5
  • EIKEN - A minimum of Grade 2A
  • PTE - A minimum of 44

or English as a Second Language (ESL) 

Choose one from the following:

  • Six years of English instruction - Provide transcript(s) and/or official letter from your school(s).
  • TOEFL - A minimum of iBT- 32, CBT-97, or PBT-400
  • IELTS - A minimum of 4.0
  • EIKEN - A minimum of Grade Pre-2

Step 3: Collect Your Official Transcript(s).

This can be your official high school transcript or certificate of graduation in English.

  • The completion date of secondary education comparable to the U.S. high school must be clearly indicated.
  • Only an original transcript with English translation by a certified translator is acceptable.

Have your transcripts mailed to: 
International Education Admissions
Mesa Community College 
1833 W. Southern Avenue 
Mesa, AZ 85202  USA

Step 4: Provide Evidence of Financial Support.

  • Complete the Evidence of Financial Support form and obtain signatures as needed.
  • Provide an original letter on official bank letterhead showing that the student or the sponsor has a minimum of $20,150 per year on deposit to cover tuition and living expenses (for the student only).
    • Students must obtain housing on their own as Mesa Community College does not provide student accommodations.  Applicants who plan to live with a friend or family member in the U.S. may complete the Room and Board Agreement and then are only required to submit a bank statement showing $10,500 per year versus $20,150.
    • International students at Mesa Community College are required to show sponsorship for a minimum of $20,150 per year. The exact cost changes slightly from year to year due to changes in tuition costs. If an applicant wishes to bring a spouse to the US (on an F-2 visa), an additional $5,000 must be reflected in the financial statements. If the applicant wishes to bring a dependent child, an additional $2,500 per dependent child must be reflected on the affidavit and bank statements.

Step 5: Provide a Photocopy of the Identification Page of Your Current Passport

 The copy must clearly show your legal name, passport number, and birth date - click for example.

Step 6: Obtain Your F-1 Student Visa.

Things to Remember

  • Applicants may not directly apply to the allied health programs (Dental Hygiene, Mortuary Science, or Nursing). First, international applicants must apply to a general academic program (for example, Associate in Science, Associate in Arts, or Associate in General Studies) and later, must apply to and be accepted into an allied health program.  Acceptance into an allied health program is not guaranteed.
  • Standardized tests (the SAT or TOEFL) are not required for admission. However, students may take an appropriate English assessment test at Mesa Community College. This is not an entrance examination. The score is used for placement only. If it is necessary for a student to take English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, the test score will determine the appropriate ESL course level. Each level is one semester long, though some intensive courses are available. For information on testing, including practice tests and tips for the English placement test, please visit Testing Services.
  • International students are not eligible for the in-state tuition rate and are charged the out-of-state tuition rate. Financial aid is not available to international students.