A student with a disability is eligible to receive reasonable accommodations if the documented disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities. Major life activities include: caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

Procedure for In-Class Note Takers

For students needing assistance from in-class note takers, a Note Taker Request Form must be submitted for each class. In order for the note taker to get paid, they must come into the DRS office at the beginning of the semester to fill out a W-9 form. It is the student's responsibility to make sure that the note taker is aware of the process.

Scheduling a Private Testing Room

For students who are allowed a Private Testing Room, it is the student's responsibility to make arrangements for special testing accommodations by going to Disability Resources and Services and completing a Test Accommodation Request Form. This form must be submitted at least two (2) business days prior to the test date.

Requesting Textbooks in Alternative Format

If alternative textbooks and materials are needed by the student, it is the responsibility of the student to register early and to provide DRS with a copy of the receipt from the bookstore. The student must also bring in the textbooks to our office so that we may make a photocopy of important pages.

Alternatively, students can contact RFB&D (Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) to become a member. RFB&D, a national nonprofit, volunteer organization, is the leading accessible audiobook library for students with disabilities, such as visual impairment or dyslexia. Their website is www.rfbd.org.

Requesting Brailled Text

If Brailled textbooks are needed by the student, it is the responsibility of the student to register at least 45-60 days prior to the start of classes, and to provide DRS with the class schedule and, if possible, a course syllabus from the instructor.

Requesting Sign Language Interpreters

If a sign language interpreter is required, it is the student's responsibility to register early and to request interpreters through DRS to facilitate the coordination of available qualified interpreters with the student's schedule. The student is required to fill out an Interpreter Request Form for each class.

Return to Disability Resources & Services